Word of the day

Pedicure = toe refreshment
Padraste: we're ready
Verchatsene: we're finished
Dooile Leshark = bucket line
Ingher = friend
Vardaquin = pink
Gagarch = poppy
Vart = rose
Hogh = dirt
Skul = school
Achig = girl
Get = river
Dooster = daughter
Maireek/mama = mother
Avalush = see you later
Aghves = fox
Cove = cow
Hoki = soul/spirit
Beton = cement
Badinka = boots (in Russian)
Voznie = hedgehog
Leeka = full
Dartak = empty
Kyle/Gayle = wolf
Shoot -Shoot = fast/faster
Lav = good
Shatlav = best/ very good
Dune = house
Che = no
Voch = no
Hah = yes
IO = yes
Havanetsie = I like it
Eench Areshez = what is the cost
Auntsrev = rain
Tsegh = mud
Hav = chicken
Kar = stone
Khoomb = team
Dooile = bucket
Barkavatshel = prosper
Parev = Hello



Saturday, May 14, 2011

A night of packing


A night of final packing. Two weeks into one bag plus donations for  families in need, art supplies for the kids a pound of my favorite Caribou Coffee and snacks.  It's amazing how many times a person can review the check list and organize documents and papers.  I checked the weather and repacked my clothing as it'll be colder than I thought. I even put in a winter hat and gloves.  It seems my rain coat will be a welcome friend next week. I've survived a wrestling match with cords for my electronics and I'm charging an extra camera battery hastily purchased this afternoon and on sale at Target.  Checked in online 30 minutes ago and have my boarding passes printed! My suitcase, not yet zipped, weighed in at a solid 46 lbs and I'm delighted as I have 4 lbs of "last minute" room if need be.

Our team will be spending 2 weeks in Armenia to build a home in Vanadzor Armenia for a family in need.  Vanadzor,  population 70,000, is the third largest city in Armenia. 50 percent of Armenians live in poverty and as a result, many cannot afford adequate housing. Many live in unfinished housing because they had to abandon construction due to severe economic crisis.  Other families live in "domiks" which are metal containers that were brought to Armenia as temporary shelter during the devastating 1988 earthquake.  Our team will be working with a family to build their home. We will also have time to visit some of the sites.


I wish to share the next two weeks of building, learning and Armenian travels with you.